November 17, 2017 8:30am to 4:45pm
Marriott Southern Hills • 1902 E 71st St, Tulsa, OK 74136
Registration Form located at the bottom of this page.
8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
The History of Addiction and Addiction Medicine In The United States: Where We Were and Where We Are Going
Scott Teitelbaum, M.D., FAAP, DFASAM, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Addiction Medicine
1. Review and understand the history and evolution of addiction treatment and recovery in the United States; and
2. Review and know the factors that led to the demise of the treatment field; and 3.
Review and identify the history of the rebirth of treatment/movement and the role of AA; and
4. Review and understand the lessons from history and where we are today.
10:30 a.m.-10:45 a.m. BREAK
10:45 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
The Physician’s Toolkit to Address the Current Opioid Epidemic
Scott Teitelbaum, M.D., FAAP, DFASAM
1. Identify the factors contributing to the opioid epidemic; and
2. Identify “red flags” signaling possible opioid/substance use disorder; and
3. Discuss different options on how to approach patients with opioid/substance use disorder.
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Best Practices in Properly Prescribing Suboxone
William Yarborough, M.D., DFASAM, Tulsa
1. Understand how buprenorphine is effective in treating opioid use disorder; and
2. Know the basic approach to treating opioid dependent patients with buprenorphine; and
3. Identify some difficulties in managing opioid dependent patients with buprenorphine.
12:30 p.m.-1:15 p.m. (Lunch)
Overview of Tools and Resources on Opioid Addiction Available From the ODMHSAS
Jessica Hawkins, MA, Sr. Director, Prevention Services
Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
1:15 p.m.-2:00 p.m.
Current Hot Topics in Addiction Medicine
Jason Beaman, D.O., M.S., Chair of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Oklahoma State University
Center for Health Sciences, Tulsa
1.Identify trends in opiate addiction and abuse; and
2.Know the current threat of the opiate epidemic; and
3.Understand new medical and legal topics relating to the opiate epidemic.
2:00 p.m.-2:15 p.m. BREAK
2:15 p.m.-3:15 p.m. Opioid Epidemic: What Is The Doctor’s Role?
Scott Anthony, D.O., Tulsa Pain Management Specialist
1. Know the appropriate patient selection; and
2. Identify emerging risks; and
3. Understand risk mitigation strategy.
3:15 p.m.-4:45 p.m.
Opioid Prescribing Guidelines for the Oklahoma Health Care Authority
Mike Herndon, D.O., Chief Medical Officer, Oklahoma Health Care Authority
1. Comply with the Standards of Care in Pain Management documentation and protocols; and
2. Access and utilize the SoonerCare Pain Management Program Toolkit; and
3. Identify “red flags” in opioid prescribing and management of chronic pain patients.